Smoking cigarettes, cigars, rolled up cigarettes and pipes are the most common ways to take tobacco. The tobacco which is inhaled by the people consists of tar, nicotine, and the other toxic chemicals. These chemicals are not only harmful for our body but they damage our lungs the most. When we smoke, we actually burn such chemicals together and fill our lungs with it. This is very fatal for our lungs as these chemical are not pumped out of our body completely even after we exhale the smoke out.
In this article, we are going to tell you how badly smoking damage your lungs and lead to various serious problems.
- The chemicals inside a cigarette can cause severe respiratory problem. These definitely interfere with our body’s processes. The process of filtering air and cleaning out the lungs is disturbed to a great extent. The normal process is slowed down which created a lot of problems in the body.
- The smoke which is created inside our lungs is known for paralyzing the cilia, tiny hair-like structures that work to line the airways and flushes out dust and dirt.
- The smoke also builds up a lot of mucus and other toxic substances which ultimately leads to the congestion of lungs. Prone to continuous smoking could lead to the chronic bronchitis which is very dangerous and require a lot of care at the later stages.
- Asthma is one of the common side effects of smoking. Even a passive smoker can catch asthma. The consistent smoking makes air passages very sensitive. A person can trigger asthma when exposed to too much smoke. Asthma attacks can lead to deaths as well.
- Long term exposure to smoking modifies the lung structure as well in a bad way. It breaks down the side walls of the lungs. This blocks the oxygen way to the blood as the tissues supplying oxygen are broken down. This situation is called emphysema. This is a condition in which the walls between the air sacs in your lungs lose their ability to stretch and shrink back. Your lung tissue is destroyed, making it difficult or impossible to breathe.
- Person smoking cigarettes high in number fall for the various major diseases such as Atherosclerosis, Aneurysms, Cardiovascular disease (CVD), and Coronary Heart disease etc very easily. These diseases are not only dangerous but can lead to death as well.
- Smoking causes chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This is a disease that gets worse over time and causes wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.
- Person becomes more prone to Pneumonia and tuberculosis.
- Tobacco smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals. It has been proven that about 70-80 of them are known to cause cancer. Lung cancer is another serious disease that is created by the cigarettes and by any type of smoking.
The only way to keep your lungs and breathing happy is by quitting smoking. There isn’t an alternative to this, for sure!